Wednesday, May 6, 2015

How To Balayage Your Hair At Home


I often times go to the salon and spend a fortune and wind up feeling as though I never get exactly what I want - even if I bring pictures! So, I have taken to doing my hair at home. I am not a professional, but I do get tips from my mom who use to be a hair dresser. I wanted to do a balayage technique since I think the final result looks natural and would be great for summer!

This is the before and after from my at-home balayage experiment (apologies for the terrible quality of the "before" - I didn't plan on doing a post about this):




A little bit of info about my "before" hair: It was a dark brown before. It had been previously dyed dark brown, but had faded to a color very close to my natural color (which is still a medium to dark brown)

In order to do this at home, I looked through a lot of blogs and youtube videos. I ultimately followed this tutorial:

Click here to check out the tutorial I followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7HUHBHZRWU

Note about the video: This girl is great! She makes it easy to understand the process and walks you through it. Just follow this along with the product suggestions below.



What you will need: 

1. Boxed color/frosting kit. Typically, if you are lightening your hair, you'll want to go with a highlighting kit since it involves some bleaching. I chose Revlon Frost and Glow in Honey:

I did A LOT of research on what kit to use prior to buying. Check out all the great reviews of this product on Amazon. Note that you will not need the cap that comes with it but will use everything else included in the kit. 

2. Tint brush: You can pick one up for cheap at a hair supply store like Sally's for about $.79


Tips: 

  • It is always best to wait a couple days after washing your hair to do color. The natural oils help the process and can protect your hair as well. 
  • Put on an old t-shirt before you begin the hair color.
  • The video suggests using saran wrap, but I found it unnecessary 
  • Check the frosting color every 5-10 minutes until you see your desired color. I only left it on for 10 minutes after completing all the highlights.


Good luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment